Re: Lindows PC

Lindows is an implementation of Wine http://www.winehq.com/.

As I understand it, the problem with Wine is that it only runs some Windows
applications http://appdb.winehq.com/ and not others. It does run
Microsoft Word and Office. Nobody has reported to the Wine database trying
XyWin on Wine, so you'll just have to try it yourself. I assume XyDOS
should be easy.

One idea that I had was using Connectix, which allows you to run different
OSs simultaneously on the same machine. Then I could run Linux and Windows,
and even run Win98 with ZyIndex and its nice text indexing program for
XyWrite.

Normally Connectix sells for about $200, but I was just down by the J&R
Clearance Outlet at 33 Park Row, and they were selling Connectix 4.2 for
$50. Be aware that Connectix charges $100 per call for tech support.

J&R also had some HP PCs for $250 apiece, like the Pavillion HP6740C, and
you can get Wine free on the net, or practically free on a CD from
someplace like http://www.linuxcd.org. So you may be happy to know that
there are other options as good as Wallmart.

Norman

At 05:19 PM 1/14/03 -0800, R. E. Stannard Jr. wrote:

>Interesting pass along from a friend appended below. I've been only
lightly in
>touch lately, so forgive me if this has been discussed.
>
>DO NOT underestimate Wal Mart and its effect on the retail market. Any
retail
>market it enters. This THE 800 lb. gorilla. Anyone know if it does
XYWrite?