Lindows PC

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:19:44 -0800 (PST)
From: "R. E. Stannard Jr."

> Interesting pass along from a friend appended below. . . .

http://eletters1.ziffdavis.com/cgi-bin10/flo?y=eTfP0Cof5B0EvR0thg0AO

Bill Machrone is a very sound man, but I don't know where he gets the
idea that `hardcore uses of Linux' _want_ Linux to be hard to use. I
don't see that in the Linux lists where I lurk, but then I
strenuously avoid advocacy groups -- preferring the pros even when
I'm out of my technical depth. Most have been domesticated.

It's true that the tekkies have been skeptical of Lindows. First, it
was long vaporware. Second, for a time the company declared that
Lindows would run all WinDOSe programs (it now says `many' ).
Third, Lindows did or does come with default login as root --
obviously a great risk. But in my experience the mass of Linux users
welcome Lindows as a cheap & easy introduction to the Unix family.

See also Knoppix, which you can run from your CD-D as a demo of Linux.
No installation. Autodetection of hardware. It won't touch your HD.

Onward.

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:21:56 -0500
From: Norman Bauman

[snip]
> One idea that I had was using Connectix, which allows you to run different
> OSs simultaneously on the same machine. Then I could run Linux and Windows . . .

> Normally Connectix sells for about $200 . . .

No need to pay anything at all for a program to enable dual booting.
Every distribution of Linux I know comes with a boot manager -- LILO
or GRUB or both. And every book or manual that describes basic
installation of Linux assumes 2 operating systems.

I don't know the status of WINE, but it's widely testified that both
StarOffice & OpenOffice can handle MS Word files. Just ask Google.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle