Re: Just wondering

>Well, maybe I'm missing something, but I do all this stuff right now, more
>or less, under OS/2. The only thing I can't do is multithread (e.g. write
>while printing) -- I often work around this limitation by opening another
>iteration of XyWrite and dedicating it to this or that function: running
>very time-consuming XPL programs, or printing big docs, etc.

I do too, more or less. Still there are some functions for which
it would be handy for Xywrite to be transparent to the OS: if one
is in another application for example, and one wishes to return to
a particular windowed document in Xy, it would be far more
convenient to be able to head straight for the document instead of
simply to the application -- non trivial if you're in a hurry to
get something onto the page. For that matter I'd sure like to get
more than nine text windows up at a time. I suppose I'm dreaming
in any case, so I might as well add that such a mythical Java-xpl
shell might enable such things as transparent format conversion
(say, HTML and W4W), DDE capability -- is that what it's called --
for them that wants.

Incidentally and apropos of nothing, it continually surprises me
how frequently I see Xywrite. In fact in the pressrooms of
sporting events I've been to in the last couple years if it hasn't
got a plurality on the laptops, it's sure close.

Rafe Tennenbaum
http://www.quicklink.com/~rtenn
raphaelt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx