Re: Looking for XyWrite

Russell Lewis wrote:

> I'd like to thank the list members for all their help in getting me started
> in XyWrite. I downloaded a copy of Xy4 from the TTG BBS.

Dos or Windows? The former I hope.

> Then one of the
> list members sent me a copy of Xy3.

Ah yes, many hereabouts are inordinately fond of that version,
considered by more than one of us to the the word processing equivalent
of a '57 Chevy.

> I love the command line interface as
> well as the speed of the program.

But of course!

> Some of the keystroke combinations will
> take a bit of getting used to. In particular I am used to Wordstar
> commands, so when I type Control plus left or right arrow, I am used to
> moving one word to the left or right. You get the idea.

You can modify your keyboard file to make that happen. Did the user send
you the manual as well?

> I have several questions in particular about Xy3.
>
> 1.  How do you enter document information into a file. Version 4 allows
> you to do this from Menu interface, but I would like to know the command-
> line syntax for this.

You can't. That wasn't a feature of Xy3. Why on earth would you want to
do that anyway? It was just a dumb idea they tossed into version 4 to
make IBM happy. (That's a long story and I don't have the time to get
into it now.)

> 2.  How do you do a search-and-replace using wild-cards?

You can't. That wasn't a feature of Xy3 either. I believe somebody's
done a macro for version 3 to accomplish this. If so, perhaps they'll
answer.

> Or perhaps, I
> should ask, will Xy3 handle regular expressions? If not, how do enter hex
> codes. I am particularly interested how I can enter the angle-bracket
> delimiters that control the formatting.

Again, I expect you'll here from the experts who here in-dwell on this
matter.

> 3.  I would also like to know how to write macros and how to expand
> abbreviations in Xy3.

Long long ago, in a galaxy far far away, the previous management of
XyWrite put out an XPL programming guide. Perhaps you can find one in a
used-computer book outlet or, more likely, one of the list members here
has an extra copy they might sell you. I don't.

> 4.  Finally, how do I do command-line recall in Xy3?

Again, it wasn't part of the package, but there are macros that the more
enterprising list-members have done up.

Me? I use version 4, and from your queries it sounds to me as if you'd
be better off doing that as well.

Good luck,

--
Leslie Bialler