Re: Display colors, hardware issues

Reply to message from Carl Distefano (cld@xxxxxxxx), on Thu, 17 Feb
2005 00:18:54 -0500

Thank you. You were perfectly right that there was another MD NM= command
being read, but the circumstances were particularly stupid: I _Thought_ I
had commented out the command
load color.dsp
in STARTUP.INT, but semicolons, even 2 semicolons, didn't work. Just in
case anyone else has forgotten, though a semicolon effects a comment in a
PRINTER file, in a program file (which STARTUP.INT is) you need ;*;.
Really, really dumb of me. I mean, there are all those ;*; at the end of
each line; you would think it would sink in.

Now, a further issue with regard to display colors. In Tyson's XyWrite
Revealed, there is ( p. 321) what looks to be a very useful program for
interactively setting your header colors. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem
to work in XyW 4. The first snag is an assignment that reads (in the
printed text; this is pseudocode)
≪SV09,[ASC16]+CD LD CU LU -Xx≫
SG 09 will later be used as the object of a substring (epsilon) routine,
thus

XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
{<}SX03,{<}RC{>}{>}{<}SX04,{<}IS03{>}{238}{<}IS09{>}{>}
-nd
XPLeNCODE

If I enter the initial statement as real code (assuming the right arrow
is ASC 16), I get the following (decode it to see what I mean)

XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
{<}SV09,{016}+[CD_][LD_][CU_][LU_][255+050+068][XX_]{>}
-nd
XPLeNCODE

I tried entering Xx as both a function (which went in, but I don't find
any such function listed anyplace) and as plain text. In either case, all
that gets SaVed to the SV is ASC 16 and the plus sign; the function calls
are not. But wouldn't function calls have to be SXed?

This would be really useful if it could be gotten to work, as trying to
juggle help Colors and one's settings.dfl on a 15-inch screen is tedious.

Patricia M. Godfrey
PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx