Re: Display colors, hardware issues

Reply to note from Patricia M Godfrey  Thu, 17
Feb 2005 16:18:16 -0500

> You were perfectly right that there was another MD NM= command
> being read,

Had to be.

> Just in case anyone else has forgotten, though a semicolon
> effects a comment in a PRINTER file, in a program file (which
> STARTUP.INT is) you need ;*;.

Right. Perfectly right, even.

> In Tyson's XyWrite Revealed, there is ( p. 321) what looks to
> be a very useful program for interactively setting your header
> colors. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work in XyW 4.

Tyson's program won't work in Xy4. It manipulates defaults HR and
HN, both of which are pass? (or passé, if you insist) -- deprecated,
in RFC-speak -- in v4; they were superseded by the L1, L2 and L3
settings I mentioned yesterday. It could be adapted for v4, but...
is it really such a pain to set these values manually? Well, it is
a bit of a pain, but you do it once, then you forget about it. And
you can fiddle with defaults L1-L3 (and L4) from the CMline (don't
need to keep reloading a PRinter file, as you do with MoDes).

By the way, you're misinterpreting some of Tyson's code. In SV09,
the first char isn't an Ascii-16; it's Ascii-27, standard output for
the Escape key in v3 (func ES in v4). And the final "Xx" isn't func
XX (which exists in 4, but not in 3); it's the plain-text literal
"Xx" (uppercase X, lowercase x). The characters in SV09 --
including the functions -- are literals, used to identify keystrokes
captured with >; (so SV, not SX, is appropriate. Functions
can be SVed or SXed, depending on how you're using them).

Anyway, Patricia... glad you finally have your paper-white display!

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx