to prefer VMware at this time. There is no reason why this should not be
fixed in the future, but it is possible that no bug report has been
filed.

At 23/07/2014 17:15, you wrote:
Thanks Kari, this is good to know.  Given that Virtualbox seems to have received the better reviews here -- for more flexibility in certain areas -- it would be good to find out about any equivalent VM 'snapshot' or backup facility it may offer.

   Jordan

From: Kari Eveli
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:44 PM
Subject: Re: Finding W2K was Re: La Machine Est Morte, Vive La Machine!

Bill,

You can configure networking from Machine, Settings, Network. The
default is NAT, which is protected from surreptitious attacks from the
outside, but you have Net access if you need it (for updating programs
in situ, etc.). If you do not do anything foolish, this works ok and
presents no great risk. For other options, see e.g.
http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Network_Configuration_in_VirtualBox http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Network_Configuration_in_VirtualBox
and
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html

Further down the line, you can adjust network settings through the W2K
control panel, setting trusted domains, etc. Just as in your main machine.

>This is my one problem with VMware, and I think VBox behaves the same.
It very occasionally happens that my primary system (Win 8) crashes.
When it does, the VM session is completely lost. I have to boot W2K
fresh (admittedly this only takes a few seconds) and start Xy4 again,
having lost any unsaved data. Surely there must be a technique of some
kind for dealing with this - - setting up safe points every 15 minutes
or so, perhaps? I would be very grateful for any input.

You should fix your setup. It should never crash. VMware has a service
called snapshot for preserving current VMs. You can make this work by
installing the command line tools, and running:
vmrun snapshot path/.vmx from a cmd file (or by scheduling through Windows).
See: https://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_learning_cli_vmrun.html https://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_learning_cli_vmrun.html

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)