Re: Making the Transition

Reply to note from "Robert Holmgren"  Thu, 14
Jun 2007 23:25:21 -0400

> Carl, can you tell us the number of pages in this "real"
> _Making the Transition_ book[let]? It's more than 100, I'm
> positive (I'm not at home to check).

Manuel has it right -- it's a couple of hundred pages at least,
maybe three-quarters of an inch thick. My copy is Copyright 1991
by XYQUEST, Inc., 1st Edition, September 1991, Publication No.
002408-01, ISBN 0-927923-23-8.

> For me, two commands, APFIL and RPLFIL, really stick out as
> intriguing, in part because they aren't documented elsewhere,
> but primarily because they both allow you to edit a file
> without opening it in a window -- to edit in background.

Yes, interesting. These commands, as you know, require a
delimiter, which, the booklet says, can be "any character,
typically = or <" -- a giveaway that they're intended mainly to
enable "blind", or background, editing of SETTINGS.DFL and .PRN
files. In fact, I vaguely recall there being a similar,
undocumented command with a name like BlindEdit, which was
unfinished and a little flaky -- or maybe I'm just thinking of
APFIL and RPLFIL.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx