Re: OFF-TOPIC: The hard drive guy [was Re: Backup]

He also turns scavenged platters

I didn't say they were defective, Annie, just
previous generation. And they _are_ previous
generation -- that's why their capacity is always
so low. I got this perspective from someone
at SyQuest PR when I was doing a story -- a very
positive one -- on the SyJet drive which I thought
was more reliable than the Jaz, but that's not saying
much. I've never succeeded in getting a Jaz or
SyJet cartridge to work for more than a couple of
weeks. I admit I haven't even tried Orbs. But why
bother? They're about a 50th as reliable as a sealed
hard drive. You just can't make a reliable hard
drive that is not sealed. I would like it to be different,
but nobody has yet come out with anything to show
me that we can ever get there. The reason that hard
drives are so great is that they are so well-sealed
against the environment. The 'removable hard
drive cartridge' breaks that successful model.