RE: Typing in Shorthand

For what its worth, I keep the Shorthand 7 program synched to the XyWrite SPL feature so I have the shorthand feature in both XyWrite and all Windows programs (where I use Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Front Page.

TR.....

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Morris Krok
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2000 9:19 AM
To: Xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Typing in Shorthand

From: Morris Krok mailto:essence@xxxxxxxx
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: xpl program
Date: Friday, March 17, 2000 7:29 PM

Find a copy of a personal dictionary file which I use to expand abbreviations. This file can also be used for programming purposes by including the common programming commands such as sv, sx, pv, gt, etc., with their full expanded equivalents that include euro quotes (3 examples are included at the end of this file). It can also be used to store characters related to certain foreign tongues such as French, German, and  Spanish.

Here I am going to attach my personal dictionary of abbreviations for the most common words used in the English language. This file you will note is preceded by the code ;sp;. All this uses the XY3 program but it probably can be adapted for version xy4 for dos. The personal dictionary file which I call Shthand.spl must be inserted in the startup.int file. It should appear as BC load shthand.spl (enter).It can also be loaded on the command line just before inputting text. But by putting it in the startup file, it becomes automatic the moment the computer is switched on. My XY3 version is 3.55

    The other file is an XPl programme for expanding the shortforms and capitalizing the first word of sentences. It will also automatically put a space after all the common punctuation marks. To achieve this you need to place in your keyboard file the function AR as part of the space bar key - it could be key 57 . This change can also made to shift , caps and ctrl keyboard files. For instance it would read 57 =AR,space,enter. This file must be unzipped before you can save it to one of the alt keys.

    This program enables you to write in shorthand without using the space bar. Instead of the space bar use the common forwardslash (/) and the enter key is only used at the end of a paragraph and the tab key when you indent a paragraph. This is an example of how one would enter text. Note it is preceded by #.

#t/ti/z/ri/f/all/gd/men/to/cm/to/t/aid/v/t/poor.bew/y/nd/me/ts/makes/inputting/text/nto/a/computer/mo/interesting.

After inputting your text, press the alt key where the program was saved. By pressing the key the following will be produced:-

"The time is right for all good men to come to the aid of the poor. Between you and me this makes inputting text into a computer more interesting."

 One would ask what is the purpose of this program. It came about because I was imputting a great deal of information in a Psion palm held computer while in bed or when I used it during the day. This information I would input in shorthand with or without slash / as no expansion would take place in the Psion. If one wanted the abbreviation to expand immediately do not use the slash but press the space bar. The abbreviation can have the first letter in caps and the expansion should still occur even though no caps appears in the personal dictionary file. You will also find that if a punctuation mark is inserted immediately after the shortform without any intervening space, Xywrite will still expand the abbreviation and include the punctuation mark at the end after pressing the space bar. However if you get accustomed to this novel way of inputting text you will find that it is quicker and very silent as the space bar creates a little noise when pressed.

 I know of the shorthand 7 program but as I am old fashioned I prefer what is already built into XyWrite for Dos. Once the text is produced in dos any windows based worprocessor will be able to use it, if this is the way you wish to take format it for printing or publishing.

 I must add that the writing of this program is based on what I learnt from XyWrite Revealed by Herber Tyson.