Re: I want to go geek .. and VPC?

Robert wrote:
but how
would that accommodate your personal KBD file, your personal
preferences?
My suggestion was that anyone who cares to would upload to this site his
own customization files. If 50 people (optimistic number) did this, and if
the total of such files per person is 100k (which it wouldn't begin to
reach), that's a "whopping" 5 Megs of storage required.
So the idea is that some software on the server asks for your name, and if
it finds it on its list, it calls your startup.int which references your
on-the-server files. If it doesn't find your name, it loads generic stuff.
 Moreover, it would not be a small
file! When you get right down to it, XyWrite isn't small,
I don't follow: Editor wouldn't be downloaded, and that and U2 are the only
files over about 40k. I'm not counting LJ4.bin.
because to use it fruitfully (today), you need to interface with
a LOT of external support files.
Well, a few of us use a lot of external support files (you're thinking of
kmd.exe and such?), but do they have to be dl-ed, or could they be run
remotely with only the results showing up over the 'net?
 You're probably looking at a 3
to 8Mb download, using 7z, depending on how much of that
external baggage you want to include (different strokes for
different folks).
You may be right, that this is a lot of work for a little return. But,
still, it would be cool--and that's the desideratum in the geek world,
isn't it? I wanna be able to swagger up to a friend's computer and say,
"Excuse me a moment, I want to be able to show you a REAL word processor."

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx