OT: "literally"

Are you literally driven up the walls, as I am, by the misuse of
"literally" as in the start of this sentence? As a list-moderator, I see it
almost daily. Sometimes its amusing, but mostly it's frustrating.

It occurs, in a variant form, in David Pogue's column:

"On trips, I literally used to pack two laptops."
Gee, he *literally* used to! Not metaphorically, used to. Or is it literally pack, with a misplaced modifier? Not metaphorically pack, as in, uh . . .Oh, wait, he obviously meant to differentiate from the figurative meaning of "two"!

Thanks for indulging my metaphorical venting.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx