Re: DOS app icons Under Vista (A Fix?)

I can't speak for Flash, but the icon I created is a PNG with layers and transparency, simply renamed with an ICO extension. I thought I'd try this first, knowing that the old icons in 32-bit Windows were simply bitmaps renamed as ICO. The version I sent to the list was 64x64 pixels, after an earlier 256x256-pixel version sent to Patricia was not successful for her. As I understand the "new and improved" Vista concept, their icons now are embedded with several resolutions of the same icon, ranging from 16x16 pixels to 256x256 pixels. Mine was just that one resolution, which accounts for the much smaller file size.

I'm attaching the original 64x64-pixel PNG. I'm now using this as the desktop icon for a Xy installation that runs in Dosemu on an Ubuntu Linux desktop. It should be viewable for most people in its original form with almost any modern imaging program (most these days support Portable Network Graphics) or in a web browser. As you probably know, Robert, the Gnome desktop in Linux gets around the whole mess of different resolutions by using scalable vector graphics (SVG), which are extremely compact and can be rescaled almost infinitely as needed. Gnome also accepts PNG, and perhaps other image formats, for icons.
The examples that I've seen on the

Net all have an *.ICO extension (even if compressed with PNG).

Also, the Net examples are large files, e.g. 100Kb+. I tried

the tiny PNGs that Jeff and Flash uploaded -- none work, even

renamed as ICOs (I tried a bunch, I think at least one from each

of gentleman). Am I missing something here? Must be!

mailto:hb@xxxxxxxx

Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/index.htm?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000970!