Re: DOS app icons Under Vista (A Fix?)

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"
 on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:00:34 -0500

> I had been thinking of trying both the batchfile workaround
> (despite Robert's dire warnings against bat files).

I didn't "direly warn" against launching with BAT files. I was
simply saying that BAT files are completely unnecessary (which
is different!) and superseded by the Properties of a PIF|LNK.

Several anomalous comments: First, my Vista 'Ultimate' PIFs and
LNKs flatly reject PNGs, and will accept only ICOs and icons
embedded in DLLs and EXEs. The examples that I've seen on the
Net all have an *.ICO extension (even if compressed with PNG).
Also, the Net examples are large files, e.g. 100Kb+. I tried
the tiny PNGs that Jeff and Flash uploaded -- none work, even
renamed as ICOs (I tried a bunch, I think at least one from each
of gentleman). Am I missing something here? Must be! Second,
my old ICOs from Win2K|WinXP work perfectly -- I don't
understand what the fuss is about. Third, you can easily trick
Vista (and preceding M$ OpSyses) to accept CMD.EXE in a PIF by
creating a PIF in the first instance (e.g. make a Shortcut for
EDITOR.EXE), then go into Properties and prepend to the Target
(or Cmd) line, on the Program tab,
"%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /c " so that the whole line reads
"%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /c d:\path\editor.exe[optional
switches]". The Shortcut *will* remain a PIF. Fourth, why do
you need a Memory tab? Allocating EMS for... what? If the
PCLEX dictionaries (as alternatives to Microlytics), OK, yes.
But otherwise... for what?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx