Re: Emulators etc

Actually, is VM Fusion even an emulator? You are using an Intel chip with
an installed Windows OS, so maybe all that VM is doing is managing the disk
space and the "talk" with the peripherals.
I think this is an important issue: emulation has to be much slower than
running native. I suspect that with VM, to run Win program on a Win OS on
an Intel chip requires no translation of some code into others.
I believe VM is quite fast at executing Win programs, is that correct? And
does that mean there's no software-translation/emulation?
1) In VMWare, the guest operating systems are provided with shared
directories that include any of the host's directories. I have mine set
up so that all the Windows applications directories dialog pane has an
extra Desktop ready for a Save-to command or an Open command so that I
can always find my work on the host OS X system's desktop. 2) In VMWare
you can run the guests in a window of any dimensions you want, in a
full-screen mode or in Unity, in which the applications would appear as
if they were executing in the native host OS.

Peter

Paul Breeze wrote:
> Since we are talking emulators at the moment, can somebody help me
> with two queries. First, do emulators allow access to the underlying
> file system of the operating system on which they are running? Ie If
> I run XY in an emulator can I load text files from the underlying file
> system and then save them back to that system? Second, can any of
> them be used in portrait mode to provide a full screen window running XY?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul Breeze

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx