Re: printer error messages

I sent this reply to Harry's post last Monday, but it got lost in
Cyberspace, somewhere betwixt my ISP's server and the UPEnn's. So
did a few others, but this one addresses a continuing issue that
we MUST get straightened out, so I'm resending.

Harry Binswanger wrote:
Patricia,
Here's the situation. I can't print from EDIT.COM to LPT1 when NET USE reports this:

OK      K:    \\KRUMPET\Krumpet C    Microsoft Windows Network
OK      LPT1   \\krumpet\canonkrumpet  Microsoft Windows Network
OK      LPT2   \\krumpet\canonkrumpet  Microsoft Windows Network
OK      LPT3   \\krumpet\canonkrumpet  Microsoft Windows Network

Well. first of all, logic would suggest that assigning the same
printer to all those ports is really going to scramble things.
Does Lita have a real lpt port? 25-pin D shell connector on back?
If it's a new laptop, I very much doubt it. So issue
net use lpt2 /DELETE
and then
net use lpt3 /DELETE
to get rid of them.

Check that Windows can print to canonkrumpet. Then try printing
from edit.com.
Yet I can print from Windows (e.g., Notepad) and I can see Krumpet's files with Xy by entering:
K:

In fact, in DOS, I can log on to K: and see its files.

And so can any cracker who gets into your system. W2K has
conniption fits when I share a whole drive, even if there's
nothing but data on it. You should NEVER, ever, have C:\ shared.
That's one reason Robert and I are so vehement about
partitioning. (Lot's of others, too. Reasons, and people who
swear by partitioning.)
 But at the K:
prompt in DOS, the following produces no result (except giving me another K: prompt):

K:>Type c:\test.txt > LPT1

That is NOT the way to print to a port from DOS. The command is

copy d:\path\filename.ext lpt1

"copy," not "type" (which is used for displaying files on
screen), and no > before lpt1. (You use that "arrow" to route one
command's output to a file; e.g.,
dir e:\somedir\*.* /s>dirlist.txt

Note that the file test.txt is displayed when I do:

K:>Type c:\test.txt

Of course. That's what Type does.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey