Re: Window out to XyDos4

>    Does your monitor literally have knobs, rather than digital? Cuz if
>so, that could be the problem. Digital settings are stored in some memory
>internal to the monitor, but knob settings have to be done manually. That's

  Actually, that wouldn't make any difference, the digital settings are
simply another way of adjusting the same thing. Now, under Linux, you can
actually adjust that perfectly with software alone, overriding the knob (or
digital settings on the monitor), but it isn't exactly easy. On lesser OS,
however, you are out of luck -- unless your particular card vendor provides
some utility to do that, and has one for *both* dos and windoz which can be
run in batch files or something. Which I've never seen -- but anyway, XY
certainly doesn't have any facility for that.

>Contrary to Harmon Seaver's experience, my Diamond Stealth (S3-type ) board
>with a Zenith 17" monitor works BEST at 600x800. This is running Win95.
>Higher resolutions look sharp enough, but too tiny for my aging eyes.

  As I said, this seems to be monitor specific. But, as I also mentioned,
the fonts *are* changeable, so I don't understand why anyone would complain
about 1024x768 being "too tiny for aging eyes." You can make the fonts the
same size they are in 800x600 (or 640x480, for that matter). And, in fact,
when you do so, they become much easier on the eyes, since the edges are
much smoother. The only real drawback of higher resolution is slower screen
redraw which is only noticable on older machines.

--
Harmon Seaver
hseaver@xxxxxxxx

"Facts an' facts, an' t'ings an' t'ings: dem's all a lotta fockin'
bullshit. Hear me! Dere is no truth but de one truth, an' that is
de truth of Jah Rastafari."
			 -- Bob Marley, 1978.
Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1995. License to distribute this post is
available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or local equivalent.