Re: Re Frame Creation

Reply to note from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  Sat,
18 Jun 2005 17:53:35 -0400

> OK, this is, I know, really, really simple, but perhaps it will
> encourage others.

It's a perfectly respectable frame, Patricia. And it makes a good
template for inserting any string (formatting or text) in a file via
U2. Nice work!

My only quibble is with the use of Save/Get 50 as a data holder. It
is valid XPL syntax, and it works. But the convention we adopted
long ago for U2 programming reserves S/G 50 for passing data to the
frame from an external source -- i.e., the CMline or a parent frame.
See, e.g., the Help screen for argument-passing frames PrsCMline,
PrsKbdArg, PrsDeFine, PrsPrmpt, and PrsSG50: "All argument(s) are
collected and passed in Save/Get 50". In other words, we use 50 as
a surrogate for Save/Get 00, which, unfortunately, doesn't work to
pass arguments to U2 frames. Just as you wouldn't use 00 for normal
data, we avoid using 50 as well.

Therefore, to avoid confusion, I suggest that you renumber your
frame PAGE to a S/G other than 50 in the "transient" range 01-99:
01, say, or 51. And, by the way, since this is a transient S/G,
there's no need to empty it () at the end. Editor does that
automagically.

But these are minutiae. The good news is that you, too, have taken
the plunge!

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx