Re: back to square one

Jim Eberle wrote:
the monitor
suddenly going blank for no apparent reason, although the IT folks kept
hinting that my XyWrite DOS program was the culprit. The IT people
changed out the monitors, decided the video card was fine and then
changed the cable to digital.
Perhaps we could learn some lessons from this (we never did
isolate the problem just sidestepped it):
1. Whenever we're discussing screen issues, could we plase say,
first thing, whether we're running full screen or windowed? I was
never clear which Jim was trying to do, though it sounded like
full-screen.

2. Likewise specify if the monitor in question is LCD or CRT.
3. If IT people "do things" to your setup, watch them and write down what they do. In this case, apparently the monitor as well as he cabling was changed (which I suspected).
4. As Michael so aptly reminded us, _everyone_ has at least one
other DOS app on his or her system, command.com. Experiment with
that for purposes of comparison, and report any differences.
All these things should help us help one another, and lessen the
amount of flailing around in the dark that we all do.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx