Re Xy on XP--an amende honorable

The other day, Win 98 hung on boot (it does this occasionally; I
know why--the anivirus app changes something in the Registry when
it updates itself) and how to fix it, but it's a tedious
procedure and I had to write an article PDQ. So I rebooted into
XP, opened up Xy, and started writing. It was the first time I
have worked steadily (some 2 hours) on XP using Xy, and I did not
find it unpleasant. Yes, there is that slight lag between
keystroke and cursor movement, but given that every 4th or 5th
keystroke of mine is the wrong one and has to be corrected (and
that's not counting all the ones autocorrect fixes for me), it
seems niggling to cavil at that. And Lucida Console is a treat
for these old eyes.
Another Good Thing about XP: I often shut down a system, then
remember I'd left a CD in the drive, and have to restart. With
XP, once the boot gets to asking for login, you can choose to
shut down again. By then, the system is powered up, so you can
hit the button on the optical drive and remove the disc. And
boot time, so bypassing that does speed things up.
Now if only one could get 9x's efficient Find command in place of
that goshawful Search.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx