Re: printer error messages

Harry Binswanger wrote:
PP:4
LPT2  c:\xy\hpdj660c.prn   testing
LPT3  C:\XY\HP4-PLUS.PRN  BROTHER
LPT4  C:\XY\POST47.PRN  Postscript
LPT1  C:\xy\postghst.prn  Ghostprint
But per above it seems to: c:\xy\hpdj660c.prn is the PRN file that works with most inkjet printers, and I tried several others (on LPT2) to no avail.
OK, I saw the HP4-PLUS on LPT3, and thought you were trying to
use that (I have found that the LaserJET drivers work better with
modern DESKJet printers.)

Now, let's review:
1. The printer is connected to the USB port on your PC?
2. It's declared shared under Windows?
3. You have your computer's name and the printer sharename (I try to keep them under 8 letters each, no spaces, but that's probably not necessary)?
4. The effective driver (under Windows) is an HP PCL one?
5. Your computer has a NIC and an ethernet cable plugged into the RJ45 port and its other end plugged into a powered-up hub, switch, or router? (I'm not 100% sure about that last: I know you don't have to have another PC on in the network for Net Use to work, and I'm fairly sure you have to have a cable plugged into the RJ5 port; about the powered-up switch etc. I'm not sure and cannot test.)
Hmm, I'm wondering about that ".2" in your printer's name? That
might well confuse things. Suggest changing it (through the
Printer->Properties->Sharing->Shared As tab).
Check all those, then we can proceed. Anyone who has XP and a
network they can take liberties with, and uses Net use to print
to USB, please confirm or rebut the need for a live
hub/switch/router?
As for the possibly misleading error message, I have just
recalled that besides the default settings for LM, RM, and OF,
that is also affected by any default NA (nonprintable area)
setting, usually found in the specific .prn file. I seem to
recall (but cannot find it in my archive) that Robert once
mentioned changing that in one of the iterations of PhostGhst.prn.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx