Re: Tilde again

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Sat, 16 Mar
2002 18:38:11 -0500

> I hesitate to contradict anyone so knowledgeable as Robert Holmgren, but
> his statement that "under Win32, Xy4-DOS cannot display DIRectories of
> 8.3 (short) subdir names that contain tildes, unless that directory is
> the *current* directory" doesn't prove true on my (Win98, 1st ed) system.

Well, that's real news. Tell me if this works for you too:

Situate (your current Xy4-DOS directory) in any directory other than
"C:\Program Files". Command:

dir C:\PROGRA~1

In both Win95 OSR2 and Win2K SP2 (I also have WinNT SP6a and WinXP, but I'll
bet result is the same), using Xy4-DOS v4.018, the directory display shows "0
files" and no directories (there are dozens of them, in fact). If I command:

dir C:\PROGRA~1\*

I get "File not found" (and no display at all). Same result for any
subdirectory under "\Prorgam Files\...". What's your secret to success?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx