Tilde again

I hesitate to contradict anyone so knowledgeable as Robert Holmgren, but
his statement that "under Win32, Xy4-DOS cannot display DIRectories of
8.3 (short) subdir names that contain tildes, unless that directory is
the *current* directory" doesn't prove true on my (Win98, 1st ed) system.
Unless by "subdirectories" he means a folder within another folder, both
of which have long file names? I don't have any of those to experiment
with. since I mostly name my folders with only 8 letters, for ease of
naming from the DOS prompt. But I do have a folder on my data drive
called Josephine Info, where I keep diagnostic reports and read-me files
that came with drivers, and the like ("Josephine" is the name of my
current PC; I always name them). When I type DIR E:\JOSEPH~1 or DIR
E:\JOSEPH~1\*.* on the command line, in either Xy4DOS or XyWin, I get the
listing of files there (in 8.3 form of course). The one place I couldn't
do that was a directory called Jeudésprit (the acute accent was a typo:
I went to type an apostrophe, and because I have the International
Keyboard loaded, and forgot to hit the space bar, it came out e aigu).
XyWrite reads it (when I do DIR E:\) as e grave, jeudès~1, and then
cannot find it when I do DIR E:jeudès~1. But that's probably the old
ASCII-ANSI mess again.
Patricia