re Windoze questions

James Besser: *If xyDOS suits your needs*, using Windows doesn't
mean you have to abandon it. I use v3.52 at least 90 per cent of
the time my computer's on, often under Windows. It's in my Windows Startup folder
(minimized), ready to task switch with  as soon as Windows loads.
(Of course it runs from a .PIF, not from a Windows DOS prompt.)
Give it a try.

Aside from the odd GPF inevitable with a gui, the only downside I
find is isolation from Windows resources. You might want to
consider getting xyWin but continue working as you do now, only
under Windows, loading xyWin when you need to link a file with a
Windows app--e.g., for faxing. I keep considering that but not
doing it. Who knows ... backing into xyWin this way, one might
learn to love it.

Or maybe not. I'm one of those people who can't write with a
clutter of icons and menus before me (not even the xyDOS ruler;
my startup.int starts with func NR). And I can't imagine an 80x86
without a xyDOS shell. So normal is v3 performance under Windows
that even when used this way I sometimes have to
 to see whether I loaded Windows.   --Annie

======================= annie fisher | nyc | okAnnie@xxxxxxxx