Re: Mobile rack for Hard drive backup

Once again I am greatly indebted to Harry Binswanger. I have
spent odd moments for well over a week trying to get a second
hard drive in a removable "cartridge" to work in my Dell
Dimension. The computer's manual, the cartridge's manual, and one
of Dell's techies, assured me that you have to configure the
cartridge as "cable select" and connect it to the second plug on
the same IDE cable, which will then read it as a slave drive. I
won't bore you with how many workarounds I tried involving
various jumper and cable combinations. This morning I tried
Harry's suggestion to connect it to the master position on a
*different* cable, and it worked like a charm. Why couldn't the
people who make the computers and everything else get it right?

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science