TAME

David Thomas (TAME's author) sent me an omnibus post answering
several XY questions from at least two, if not more, of us. If anyone
can assist with any of these matters, his address is
david@xxxxxxxx. Herewith his post:

===================
I will try to respond to pieces of several messages with this one.

I was messing with the kbd file, and a miracle happened. I had an error in
the file, so XY used its defaults, and all worked perfectly.  For some
reason, if I delete the file, XY defaults were different - the bad file
always worked best! I tried another file, and have had much better results
using the smaller ibm.kbd file. ESCape is still a problem - so far I am
stumped.

Ctl J may be slow because Tame has different key repeat classes for
different types of lkeys, and Ctl-j was put in the slow lane. You can
globalllt speed those chars - I should allow you to override the classes
too.

FYI, The latest builds of Tame allow loading without tame by renaming the
pif to something.NOTAME.  This is a kludge for sure, but it is quite
effective . Of course, Tame will still be loaded by the autoexec, but will
immediately see it is not wanted, and fail the "dll load" attempt. As a
result, it will be completely evacuated from the process,.

The "console in a console" may be the new text mark look in Tame. Instead
of inverting what is selected, tame now can show clearly what is selected
and gray out the rest.

I will be posting an update that supports more direct access to the windows
clipboard.

Harry, this addresses at least one of your concerns.
I'm not sure which .pif David means. I have only two -- Editor.pif and XY.pif. He could be referring to the two text files in \My Documents\Tame created by the program, to wit: *_default.pif.view.tam* and xy.pif.view.tam but that makes no sense. I think both are just text files that store your preferences. And I'm a bit confused by that paragraph. Why would we want to "load without Tame," unless he means start a program that uses NTVDM w/o Tame. I had a post from NB NY that told me how to isolate NB with its own autoexec.nt, but I can't find it. Think it got lost in a transition between two machines.

michael.norman@xxxxxxxx