XPL FUNCTIONS

XY-> Doug Beeson

XY-> Just a comment from an outsider on this henpecking. There are too few birds
 -> left in the rarified air of XPL programming for you code writers to start
 -> shooting each other down. Ceaseless repetition of CI commands or not,
 -> beginners like me learn from the ideas posted here. I'll take them any way
 -> they come so, please, potential flamers: smile, take a deep breath, and
 -> refrain from hitting 'reply.' Or else keep it off-post.

In any given situation, especially one as undefined as XPL,
there's bound to be any amount of give and take. How a person
responds to criticism is that person's own choice, but the key to
progress is following the logic.

For instance, what Annie proposed was a translating setup which
while not necessarily appropriate for the task in hand does have
a valid function. Nevertheless, as XPL is flexible, why not make
use of the flexibility? The other point to look for in any
program is reusability of code, and a list of cis is awkward to
change.

My suggested alternative is using variables such as,

command-variable \change1-variable\change2-variable\

so that at a user's choice, one can (1) choose between commands
(such as ci or cia) and (2) choose between directions
(going from change1 to change2 or change2 to change1).

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx