Slow repeat rate

Another computer, another installation.

I'm using Tame 5.1 (prebeta 9 I think) with excellent settings from Michael Norman slightly tweaked
for font and text size. Changing those doesn't affect the problem.

All is copasetic except the keyboard repeat rate, which in practice mostly affects using left and
right arrow keys to move the cursor through a line of text. It's very slow--slower than repeatedly
hitting the key--and stuttery. Up and down arrows whiz around the document as usual.

The KS line in settings.dfl had been commented out (through countless reinstallations). I
un-commented it and left it at df ks=0,0 but it made no difference.

There's no problem with repeat rate in Windows apps.

The computer is a Fujitsu P8010, Win XP with SP3.

Any thoughts, between holiday libations?

Jon Pareles