Re: Unix and Xywrite and whatnot

≪The Windows, Macintosh and other operating systems that people use to
interact with computers are an obsolete artifact of the early days of
computer science, soon to be replaced by software that allows users
retrieve information from a global network from any computer,
anywhere, at
any time. ≫

Don't know what Gelernter's thoughts are, but even with the global
network now in place, people have different preferences about platforms
on which they work. Rather than being obsolete artifacts, different
operating systems -- such as Windows, DOS, MacOS, BE, Linux/Unix, the
HURD, JavaOS -- are an exercise in user choice. The neat thing is that we
can all use our favorite operating systems to access the network. I don't
think this feature of the computer world is going to go away--nor does it
need to. People are too creative.

shawn_harrison@xxxxxxxx