Re: Virus on List

[Rene von Rentzell:]

>Yeah, it is the old "Klez" virus, which seems still to be running rampant.
>But they are easy to recognize.

   Are they? How do you, then (without running them)?

>Just put the attachments in the trash and
>have a drink to all those idiots out there who apparently have Outlook
>Express set to execute any incoming attachment...

   Maybe not idiots, but perhaps just people not understanding how e-mail
programs, attachments, and viruses work as well as you do. I'm not absolutely
sure myself whether my computer is set to run attachments, and I don't think I'm
an idiot. I think usually it doesn't, but I also believe some e-mails with
attachments (including some viruses) can be so arranged that the attachment runs
automatically whatever your settings. I also think some of the ways some
programs run is not as transparent as it might be, and I can quite imagine that
to many people it would not be obvious whether Outlook Express was configured to
run attachments or not.
   Would even letting the selection bar rest on the line for this infected
message be sufficient to get infected, without opening the attachments? Does it
happen automatically in this case? (It's very difficult to delete a single
message without putting the selection bar on it.)

             Regards,
             Michael Edwards.