Re: log files in NB?

"Richard A. Sherer" wrote:

> I've been working with Nota Bene for a month or so now, but I miss one
> feature from XyWrite and haven't been able to find its counterpart in NB
> 5.004: the log option, CTRL + L which allows you to create a session log
> for later use. So far, after fruitless exploring in NB's help files, I
> haven't found any analogous command in NB. The best I can do is go to the
> FILE menu and reopen the windows listed at the bottom one by one. Has
> anyone discovered an equivalent to XyWrite's log command in NB, and how
> does one use it?

Richard,

Well, that's not a feature I really am familiar with, although I vaguely
recall reading about it once in the good old printed Xy4 Dos manual.

But: I have on my XyWrite backup directory the original default keyboard file
that came with Xy4 for DOS. (Called XY4.KBD)--a keyboard file I have, of
course, since then highly customized. I called it up, searched for
table=ctrl, searched for 38=

and beheld:

38=XH,JM,(R,e,s,u,m,e,)

I then did the same thing with:
nbwin\users\default\xywrite.kbd and found this in that table=ctrl

;-;38=resume.

So! The capability is there, somewhere, but they have commented it out of the
keyboard file for some reason, as indicated by the semicolons in front of the
number 38. I believe if you delete the ;-; from in front of 38=, then reload
the keyboard, and then try the command, something that you might find to your
liking may well occur. OTOH, it may simply provide you with an error message.

I would have tried it myself but I'm not quite certain what it might do, and
I have an 80K text file, and its accompanying notes file, and a directory
open just now, so I hope you'll forgive me if I don't wish to play with a
function I'm not majorly familiar with just now.

Later!

lb136@xxxxxxxx
212-666-1000 x7109 (phone) 212-316-3100 (fax)