Re: Problems With XyWrite v4.014

Jacob Green:

There definitely is a conversion facility for files going to and from
WPWin 6.1. If you don't have one, perhaps you didn't install it.

That's the big story. The detailed story is that, if you did a
complete installation, you would get about a dozen conversions.
The ones I used ran without a problem. (2) On the other hand,
you would not find one for XyWrite. (3) One for XY happens to be
included on the installation disks, but it does not install
automatically with the others. You have to do an additional,
custom install and specify conversions. That allows you to pick
and choose from 8 or so in the second tier. (4) The XY filter is
only for XY 3+. (5) It locks up my computer whenever I try to
use it with any XYDOS 4.015 file that includes elaborate
formatting, although it is OK for simple files.

On the other hand, I have no trouble when I export even large
files within XY (using File, Save as) to either WP5.1 or WPWin
format and import the resulting file into WPWIN. It loses or
messes up some minor features, for instance it turns cross-refs
to footnotes into xrefs to something elses, but nothing that
can't be handled with a little planning.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia PA 19104-3325