Re: Missing descenders in Notabene

Dear Robert
Thanks for the suggestion about using AutoLeading. That should fix the infrequent problem of losing descenders in mid-page. Unfortunately it does not appear to have any effect on the lost descenders on the final line of text on screen, which has been my main concern. Incidentally I use XYWrite for writing but rarely for printing and I never use the XY4 graphics view.
Regarding the font, I often spend all day sitting in front of a XYWrite
(or in the future perhaps a Notabene) screen, and I find that some
typefaces are pleasanter to spend that time with than others. Of course
with XY I have had no choice but to use a non-proportional font. Given
the choice, however, I would use a proportional font. So, cosmetic or
not, I suppose I care.

Best wishes

Paul

Robert Holmgren wrote:
** Reply to message from Paul Breeze
 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:08:03 +0000

This is an OLD issue. Haven't you ever seen this in Xy4 Graphic
View mode?? Your LS LineSpacing is too cramped! Embed
AutoLeading in text (or "DF AL=1" in DFL, or "BX d al=1Q2
;*;" in NBSTART.PM), and see your descenders. If you don't
want to use AutoLeading, then set LS=1.2LI or something like
that. By crushing lines together, you're asking them to
overprint each other transparently on the display -- and that
ain't gonna happen. Anyway, why are you "forced to use a
non-proportional font"? It's all wholly cosmetic, so who cares?
On paper, cramped lines will overprint.