Re: Version confusion: TTG discounts? - even for MultiMate?

                         Michael Edwards.

[Rene von Rentzell, quoting Tim Baehr:]

>At 09:31 AM 12/20/00 EST, TBaehr@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>If you do decide to buy 4.x from TTG, the list price has been something
>>around $450. Ouch. But you may be able to get a "competitive upgrade" for
>>around $130.
>
>Yes, he will. Read the fine print, and you will see that "upgrade" refers
>to any word processor, including Microshaft Word.

   Or even MultiMate? That is the only word-processor I have used these last
11 years (two or three different versions). (People tend to look at me
disbelievingly when I tell them this; occasionally they laugh - like a friend of
mine who has been telling me for years to get a *real* word-processor. I don't
think he had XyWrite in mind, though.)
   I must admit that I hadn't read this bit about "any word-processor",
although I did visit the web site.
   So would they want me to send them my copy of MultiMate as proof that I do
own a copy? But unfortunately I have hundreds, maybe a thousand or more, files
in MultiMate, and will need to keep, and use, that program for probably some
years to come. (Perhaps over several years I would convert the files to XyWrite
if I decide I like that program enough. Or if I don't actually convert them
all, I still have to be able to access them in MultiMate.)
   I guess, technically, it would be illegal to keep using a copy of MultiMate
if I handed the original disks to someone else. What is the law (and ethics) of
this? I have to keep using MultiMate, no matter what - even if I have to
sacrifice a special upgrade price.

>At least that marketing lesson TTG has learned.

   I'm not sure I get this. Is it a policy they have to encourage more people
to take up XyWrite, even if at a cheaper price? But I was under the impression
that, while TTG continue to supply copies of XyWrite, they don't in any way
actively support it beyond this.
   Do they really care if people take up XyWrite?

             Regards,
             Michael Edwards.