RE: HP programmable calculator batteries

Marc,

Just want to get clear on the principle here. Are you saying that when one
can't get the standard battery, one can still substitute any other combo of
batteries that puts out the same voltage, just making an ad-hoc physical
connection to the standard input circuitry? That makes perfect sense, but I
am kinda surprised that there isn't an issue of matching amperages.

I ask because I'd like to try making up substitutes, as you apparently
have, for things that use unique, non-standard batteries.

Hi I've done the same thing to an old Toshiba laptop battery. A new one was worth twice what the laptop was worth. Cut it open, popped out the old batteries. New batteries were a bit smaller. Hot-glued in 8 batteries soldered together along with the bi-metallic 'cut-out'. Fitted a 12v plug to the front of the battery to allow charging from a car cigarette lighter and presto. Only got about 1 hour from the batteries, but being able to drive the charger around the countryside was a bonus. Re-chargeable batteries are generally only 1.25v per cell - not 1.5v. Marc -----Original Message----- From: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of flash Sent: Thursday, 2 March 2006 4:32 a.m. To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx Subject: HP programmable calculator batteries Phil White wrote that his HP-65 card programmable calculator's batteries are kaput. I'm not sure what model that was, but if it's like my HP-25 programmable calc., you can keep it running on replacement non-HP batteries. Just cut open the HP battery-holder with a razor, pop out the original cells, and put in any good quality rechargable 1.5v AA cells. Then superglue the battery-holder back together. I did.
Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx