Re: TAME [was: Hardware ID (was Completely Off-Topic)]

Martin Osborne wrote:
it now tries to display subscripts as subscripts rather than as colored characters (I want colors, not subscripts)
You don't have to use that. Offhand, I don't know where to turn it off, but
I'm sure it's just a matter of commenting out a line in one of the config
files.
, (c) the apparent irreversibility of updating to a new version,
No problem. Because of my idiosyncratic use of cursor-control keys, I'm
going to have to go back to Pre6 myself in a minute. It's just a matter of
renaming folders (see my other post on this).
and (d) the possibility that it will make substantially worse the display of my other DOS programs, which are very idiosyncratic.
You don't have to use Tame for the others. I *think* the way around this is
to take the call to Tame out of AUTOEXEC.NT (at the bottom of that file),
and launch Xy from a .BAT file consisting of:

C:\PROGRA~1\Tame5~1.1\Tame-nt.com
C:\xy4\Editor.exe /e4000

I haven't gone this route for some months, so I forget if this is ideal.
What is the latest on (a)? Is there still an option for a "classic" XyWrite screen (with colors)?
All the colors are settable from View/Color Adjustment. I long have gotten
all the colors I wanted, but as I recall View/Color Adjustment allows you
to define easily what you'll see for each MODE number (as set in
SETTINGS.DFL). What you do is this. Put your cursor (the windows mouse
cursor) on the text color you want to set; right click; a dialogue box will
appear showing, at the top, the current color assignments; the second item
from the top is to customize; go to that, select Enable Customize Display
of . When
that is checked you will then see a way to set both the foreground and
background colors. It takes a long time to write out what to do, but the
actual changing is very quick and easy.
The great part is that you can, with quick visual feedback, change *every*
color to what you want--defined text, header stuff, the deltas--everything.
It's a million times easier than the old way of playing around with
SETTINGS.DFL "MD= ..." settings. And you get any combination of the
millions of Windows colors for each MODE.
 What is the best version to try?

Pre8.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx