TAME [was: Hardware ID (was Completely Off-Topic)]

At 01:15 PM 9/28/2006, Martin J. Osborne wrote:
I have been reluctant to try a new version because of the discussion on the list regarding (a) problems it creates rather than solves (I don't recall the details), (b) the fact that it now tries to display subscripts as subscripts rather than as colored characters
As Harry says, out of the box, as it were, TAME should have no effect
on XY's display colors. That's the way I use it (Pre7 till I get to
Pre8). I don't plan to take advantage of those cosmetic changes until
the basic anomalies and artifacts (and there are only a few of them)
are addressed. Once XY runs in the TAME Console without any glitches,
and I've tested it across a week of writing and switching files, then
I'll invoke some of those new bells and whistles DT has included.
Give it a try anyway; just follow Harry's instructions for renaming
folders (directories). Also tell me what version you are using at the
moment, your fall-back version, as it were. I have saved the installs
for versions 2,5-7 and can send one of those to you. Harry or Maben
may have other versions saved. If they do, I'm happy to hold all of
them on a HD, if anyone needs them.
Thinking ahead, does anyone know how (if) Vista will handle DOS
legacy programs? On a couple of lists, the cognoscenti claim, "The
32-bit Vista version will run most 16-bit applications in
compatibility mode, but there's no guarantee. The 64-bit vista
version will NOT run 16-bit applications."

Michael Norman