XY in DosBox (XP) and the WPDOS guy

The WPDOS guy is Edward Mendelson, longtime PC Magazine writer (and member
of the Columbia English faculty). In the early days of Nota Bene, Mendelson
tried that program for a while, so he's not unfamiliar with XY-DOS, at
least in its NB manifestation, and much of his WP-DOS site
(http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/index.html) should be of interest to
those of us trying to get XY-DOS or NB-DOS going under XP.

One of Mendelson's points is that certain computers sold in the spring of
2003 will not run DOS programs in full-screen mode (the mode tolerable
under XP). My wife has such a computer, and if you have one, you are
basically out of luck. Possibly one or two of the sad stories we've heard
here from time to time can be traced to this hardware problem.

The appearance of the font in full-screen mode seems to be entirely a
function of what the manufacturer builds in. Anecdotally, what I get on my
IBM X40 laptop is distinctly superior to what I got on my late Sony Vaio.
Here again, the point is that hardware can make or break you.

James Woolley
woolleyj@xxxxxxxx