Re: Outlining collapsing

Nota Bene, before it committed suicide, had a collapsible
outlining feature. It worked by enclosing all the items of a
given level in PR deltas (in XY we use an NT delta for the same
purpose), and removing the same deltas when the level is
re-accessed.

This is not a complicated job of XPL programming. I already have
a couple of key macros, one of which encloses selected text in an
NT delta, and the other that deletes the delta markup and
restores the contents as text. The outline program would just
find all of the Cn deltas and manipulate them.

There are no doubt much more elegant ways of solving this problem, and
I will cheerfully use one if someone submits it. Can we call
this a contest, with peer admiration as the prize?

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia PA 19104-3325