Re: FTP, Ubuntu (combines two OT subjects)

I've been using the FireFTP
plugin for Firefox for some time, and I like it a lot and heartily
recommend it. The author asks very kindly for a donation to cancer
research, and that seems little enough to ask for something that
functions so well. When I'm on someone else's computer, I sometimes do file transfers using the
PortableApps
version of Filezilla (installed on a flash drive). Filezilla is a great free program, and it
completely replaced WS-FTP for me even though I paid for that one years
ago. Integrating FireFTP into the browser makes even more sense, so I stick with FireFTP most of the time or use the FTP functionality built into Adobe Dreamweaver.

Paul Lagasse and I corresponded a bit back when I was excited about getting XyWrite to run in Ubuntu (first using DOSbox, then DOSemu after Robert suggested it), and I'm happy to read that you've continued to tweak and refine your settings, Paul!

Words of mild caution for Ubuntu newbies: In the past month, I've configured two computers for dual boot with Ubuntu. My mother's desktop now boots Ubuntu/XP, and my son's laptop boots Ubuntu/Vista. Ubuntu manages this beautifully if Windows is installed first. For anyone else considering this, or considering Ubuntu installation alone, I would strongly suggest using the most recent LTS (long-term service) release -- at the moment, that's Ubuntu 8.04, aka Hardy Heron. Intrepid (8.10) is great, and has made many improvements, but some of its bleeding-edge components are unstable and may deter you from loving Linux as you might otherwise. This is especially true if you hope to work with video and/or audio, as there are always problems on the cutting edge of the real-time kernel required for those functions. Six months from now, most of those bugs will be resolved.

Fortunately for XyWrite users, there's nothing bleeding-edge about DOSemu ... but we all have other interests as well, so I thought this worth noting.

I suspect you'll be happy with Ubuntu, Rafe, but upgrading to the latest release sometimes will break what you've already configured (just as Firefox 3 contained unhappy surprises for some of us). If you're mindful of that, you should have no problems. Upgrading from Hardy to Intrepid, for example, I was among many people who had to uninstall the default wireless network manager and reconfigure wireless network settings. But since Intrepid is running well already for you, go for it!

Jeff

Which stars will make the biggest headlines in 2009? http://toolbar.aol.com/popeater/download.html?ncid=emlweusdown00000025.