Is VB going to be important?

I would like to pursue a thoughtful discussion of VB and whether it will
prove to be an important and durable tool for PC desktop. Within the Win95
environment, it is the only tool which appears to me to integrate well
between applications and within applications. TTG's choice to include it
parallels other creative software companies like Media Cybernetics with the
Image Pro package. I am beginning to learn it, and see enormous power in its
approaches to automating applications and inter-application communication.
Can PERL or JAVA do that? If so, please provide me more information about
it and any experience you have had with them doing that.

Steve