Re: Off Topic, Part 2 (Avant Stellar keyboards)

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:08:21 -0500

>> It is
>> identical in every respect (once remapped) to the OmniKey 102

> Robert, thanks much for the tip. I too have the OmniKey, but it's the
> "OmniKey Ultra." Is that the same thing?

Meme chose. I had Ultras too, they had some extra detail or two, I can't quite
remember what, whereas the Omni 102 had exactly what I needed and cost a couple
bucks less. I never saw or felt any significant difference between the two.

I just did a walk-around, & all five of my current keyboards are 102s. We really
pound our keyboards to pieces, they fall apart, I've probably bought forty
keyboards since I started computing on my own machines, in the 70s.

> ...the parts department in my house is starting
> to feel like the equivalent of having old truck hulks on blocks in the
> yard.

It hurts, but periodically I pitch the obsolete stuff that I've kept on
the shelf. Nobody wants a USRobotics 2400 baud Courier, even if it cost 200 bucks
just a few years back and works perfectly. Ditto the serial cards and video cards,
beautiful flat-screen B&W monitors and all that junk. Just pitch it. Whereas,
my 1953 John Deere crawler-loader dozer still works great. Built to last. The
great thing about JD equipment (this is still very much on-topic) is the axiom that
no matter what the age, if its still in good condition, it will fetch what you paid
for it *or more*. The built-in discount is, of course, inflation. But still...
impressive stuff.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx