Re: Xy and Warp

Carl;

  I would think that if you are getting different readings than your partner,
there is something perhaps wrong in either (a) your machine setup, or (b) your
dos and/or winos2 setup. I would first check bios settings -- when you install
OS/2, you are supposed to first disable all caching, set CPU speed to slow,
and, most importantly, disable all bios shadowing. The README says you can turn
all this back on after the install but most of us found out that enabling any
sort of bios shadowing is not only not needed in OS/2, but can cause all sorts
of slowdowns and weirdness, crashes, etc. Speed and caching need to be turned
back on tho. Don't know if this has changed in Warp or not, but I doubt it,
since OS/2 doesn't use the bios shadowing. There are other bios settings which
make a difference also, but not as much as those.
  The other thing which you might look at are the dos settings (how much
memory allotted, background execution, all the graphics settings) and also --
how good is the benchmark you are using? Never heard of it, myself, but I'd be
glad to try it if you uploaded it to the XY ftp site.
But, for one thing, IBM says that benchmark tests that are written for 16 bit
systems don't work and have no validity in 32 bit systems.
Don't know how that pertains to this program, but if I remember correctly, they
were talking specifically about windoz benchmark testing being applied to
winos2.
  Hope this helps.

Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx seaverh@xxxxxxxx
harmon@xxxxxxxx

<> "The Way of the Samurai is death." - Jocho Yamamoto 1710 Hagakure <>
<> "Let no man's life stand in the way -- especially your own."    <>
<>                    Miyamoto Musashi 1584-1645  <>
<> "The fundamental delusion of humanity is to suppose that I am here <>
<> and you are out there."              Yasutani Roshi  <>