Re: Fix for Microlytics UK dictionary in XY4

Paul

I can confirm the "don't skip words with numbers" bug with Xy4 Dos
and the Microlytics UK dictionary under Win98 Version 4.10. A test
document has just crashed at the first word with numbers.

As to WHY - I haven't a clue. Ask Murphy, tomorrow is St Patrick's
day after all.

I had never run into the words-with-numbers bug until you mentioned
it, because I never spell a document on screen. I always do a batch
spell to file, delete the correct words from SPELL.TMP (obviously
including words with numbers), and run correct. This method is
infinitely faster than stopping at every queried word in a lengthy
document.

I started using the Microlytics UK dictionary with Xy3+ in the late
1980s (out of the box) and there was never a problem. However, I only
managed to get it to work with Xy4 Dos via the ZX-settings work-
around thanks to an e-Mail reply from a technical-type at TTG in about
1993 (the only reply I ever got from them over the years despite dozens
of assorted queries - so lets be thankful for small mercies).

To complicate the issue, I use the IBM Signature UK dictionary as my
default dictionary because its built-in hyphenation dictionary doesn't
suffer from the Xy4/Microlytics hyphenation bug (hyphenation points
set in your exceptions dicionary are ignored - worked like a charm in
Xy3 though).

Thus I work on any document with the IBM UK dictionary loaded and
only spell my documents after toggling to the Microlytics UK
dictionary (thanks to Robert Holmgrem's TOGGLEDIC/TD in
his and Carl's XYWWWEB.U2). As you know, the IBM UK dictionary
inevitably plonks its query screen right over the word being queried.

Thanks to your query, I was motivated to sort out my own Microlytics
UK dictionary problem. It started giving me a "Not enough memory"
error message as soon as I installed Xy4 Dos on my then new Win 98
machine last year despite the ZX settings in STARTUP.INT and
expanded memory being set in CONFIG.SYS. At the time, I didn't have
time (or energy) to sort the problem out as I had four study guides to
rewrite and I discovered that I could still batch spell the files in
XyWrite Win.

A bit of tweaking this morning revealed that the pre-installed expanded
memory setting in my CONFIG.SYS didn't work with Xy4 Dos +
Microlytics UK dictionary:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE /FRAME=NONE X=A000-
CFFF X=A000-F7FF

But, the default parameters for expanded memory, however, do work:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

The Windows memory settings in my XyWrite shortcut all work on
AUTO. There seems to be no need for Carl's extra 230 Kb relative to my
EDITOR.EXE/e4000 - this could be an OS/2 requirement.

Regards
Jon Inggs

Paul Breeze , Fri, 15 Mar 2002
Subject:  Fix for Microlytics UK dictionary in XY4
> Following my various trials with the Microlytics UK dictionary in XY4
> under Win98se, I have finally found a fix. There is an option under
> Preferences/Defaults/Spelling to skip words with numbers. When this
> is checked the problem disappears.
>
> I am seriously relieved to have found the solution, but can anybody
> tell me why this makes a difference?
>
> paul

Try the Economic History Society of Southern Africa
WWW site at: http://home.intekom.co.za/joni/ehsoc.htm

Jon Inggs        e-Mail: inggsej@xxxxxxxx
Economics Department
PO Box 392