Running XY-Write under DOS vs. Windows.

                         Michael Edwards.

[Phil Ferreira:]

>My wife and I share a computer at home. I
>keep an icon on my status bar that let's my wife switch to Qwerty whenever
>she's at the machine.

   This seems to imply that you use XY-Write with Windows, not DOS. Do most
people do this?
   I used DOS exclusively for over a decade before using the Internet and
e-mail on a new laptop a bit over a year ago forced me to use Windows. (That's
the computer and system I am using right now.) You can use DOS programs there,
but I don't find it very satisfactory. For that whole year I've wanted to set
up a dual-booting system on my laptop so that I can boot up on DOS (I mean pure
DOS, perhaps version 6.22 - not the fake incomplete DOS that comes with Windows
95's DOS prompt) - but I can't seem to find out how to do this: no-one I ask
seems to know, although I know it can be done and was once a reasonably common
practice.
   I'm now considering getting a 486 laptop for running my DOS programs, which
I have no intention of giving up. Given that I tend to distrust extra layers of
complexity on any computer, I'm not sure, when I think about it, that I would
fully trust a dual-booting system, anyway.
   Does anyone have any opinions about whether XY-Write should be run on pure
DOS, or do they find it quite satisfactory with Windows?

             Regards,
             Michael Edwards.