Re: Net Use Printing on Vistaq

I did some extensive testing of this over the weekend. Vista (Home Premium), at least as installed on this laptop, definitely has some setting that will not let Xy print to a local USB port mapped as an lpt one. It is probably something in networking or security, and I hope it can be worked around, but that requires greater knowledge of Windows internals than I possess.

Here's what happens:
1. The Net Use command completes successfully, and edit.com can print to the USB port mapped to lpt1.
Then you're ahead of me. Mapping to LPT2 doesn't work in DOS, judging by
the failure of:

Type test.txt > LPT2
2. In Xy, with an HP driver loaded, one can printf, then copy fo.tmp lpt1 (or 2) from a NTVDM command line, and the file prints perfectly. 3. But Print in Xy yields "Write Fault. Printer Error." And no data stream is being sent to the printer (no blinking light, no noises, nothing in the queue).
I have UAC (a ruddy piece of arrogant Big-Brotherism if ever there was
one) turned off but the Windows firewall ON (both inbound and outbound).
But it's supposed to tell me if it's blocked something, and it doesn't
when I try to print from Xy.

That gets me to thinking: could ZoneAlarm be the culprit?
Nope. Just tried shutting it off, to no avail. And it doesn't work from DOS even with the networked printer (over the LAN to my wife's machine) set to LPT1 instead of LPT2.
The Network connections are all active (as I said, I had to do this at the office, where there is a USB HP printer, and the laptop logged onto that network without a whimper, once I changed the workgroup name to the one used there. This makes me wonder if there could be some similar setting in XP that is interfering with with some people's attempts to use the NetUse end run?
As I say, TYPE doesn't work. I just tried EDIT.COM and it fails to print as
well. So, in my case, it's something between DOS and the net.
Let's give up on this. Not worth the time, since as of March 1, I'll be
back in NYC with a set up that does work (or was working when I left for L.A.).
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx

Harry Binswanger