	Linkname: SARC Write-up - W32.Sircam.Worm@mm
    Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 08:10:04 GMT
    size: 347 lines

	And how do you know what mailers and mail handling
	programs people are using?

	"It used to be that you had to open an attachment to get a virus via
	e-mail. Now you can get a virus simply by viewing a message. To
	protect yourself:
    + Delete messages from unknown senders without reading them.
    + Turn off the Preview Pane in Outlook, Netscape Mail or Eudora
     (under Options/Viewing Mail). The reason for turning it off
     is that the preview pane effectively views the message for
     you.

	Not all e-mail programs pose an equal degree of risk:
    + The riskiest e-mail programs to use are
      o Outlook (all versions)
      o Netscape Mail
      o Eudora version 4 and above
      o Pine
    + Somewhat safer is
      o Webmail
    + Safer still (assuming you don't open attachments) are
      o Elm
      o Eudora version 3"

	And XyDOS or XYwin can look at files and attachements, but
	for corporate or software compatibiltiy, Xy users may have
	to use a 'weak' email program. Who can blame them.

	I've seen the Sircam email virus often as W32.Magistr.Worm.
	about 20 times this week, but I'm using elm and it doesn't
	affect me--I don't open attachments in Windows, or use
	Windows (OS/2, Linux, Unix here).  Having its own SMTP
	program built-in, and more versions being written based
	on it all the time, it will be with us for a time yet.

	  Linkname: Symantec's AntiVirus Research Center

	Xywrite is a good program, but using it as a viewer isn't
	to everyone's taste for "machine-code" files.

	[ for hoaxes of emails
	   Linkname: Symantec Security Updates - Hoax Page

						Daniel say

				who has a floppy with Xy and the
				Forms virus on it too in the
				DOS boot.