Re: In with the new

Reply to note from Peter Brown  Tue, 21 Jul 1998
11:24:23 -0400

-> ...has me thinking about the varieties of hypertext from within
-> XyWrite...

Several interesting ideas here, all of which strike me as do-able --
or done.

-> The program could get fancy. It might do a global search of an
-> entire directory (say, c:\classics), into which the user has
-> stored the literature files of his choice (using the command
->
-> se c:\classics\*.*/TARGET WORDS/
->
-> from within an empty open screen).

Unless I misunderstand, nothing fancy is required. My enhanced
search-across-files does just that (and dispenses with the need for
an empty open screen).

-> The program might even copy, say, the 100 bytes to either side
-> of the target word to a new dummy file, along with the path and
-> file name of the citation, for each occurence of the target
-> word on the directory.

Holmgren's CITE.PM does that for individual open files; the amount
of context displayed is customizable. It seems to me that SSE +
CITE adds up to the desired function. (CITE can downloaded from
XyWWWeb.)

-> Finally, if XPL programs can jump around like this, why not
-> make 'em jump to Web search engines or to the user's favorite
-> Web sites. Is this possible in XyDos (without XyWin)?

Absolutely, in XyDOS *or* XyWin. I have a routine that "lifts" the
URL under the cursor (no DeFine necessary) and feeds it to your
favorite browser. It works transparently under any OS -- i.e., will
detect the underlying OS and choose the appropriate browser command.
This one is long-used and well-tested (by Robert and me), having
evolved over the last year or so. The only reason I haven't posted
it yet is logistical (Holmgren's estivation), but there's no reason
not to add it to XyWWWeb now. In fact ... done!

XyWWWeb = http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/