Search programs (was Re: In with the New

Reply to note from Eric Van Tassel <101233.342@xxxxxxxx> Tue,
21 Jul 1998 18:53:03 -0400

-> ... I'm prompted by recent postings concerning the two
-> existing routines
->
-> (1)       find
-> and
-> (2)       se c:\dir\*.*/string/
->
-> I want a program that will combine these two -- because the
-> utility of (2) is limited by having to know the directory, and
-> that of (1) by having to know the filename. And then (as others
-> have requested) when you *open* the file the program should
-> jump to (the first instance of) the sought-for string.

If you apply Holmgren's SWEEP to the SEarch command starting from
the root directory, the search will cover the entire drive. FIND,
of course, automatically searches all subdirectories of the current
drive. My FINDALL utility expands that to all drives on a single
pass. FIND2, for Xy under OS/2, does the same as a separate
process, so you can continue writing while the search proceeds.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/its.html