Re: Re Keystrokes: Possible BIOS compatibility

** Reply to message from "M.W. Poirier"  on Tue, 26
Jul 2005 09:01:32 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm not absolutely certain that I understand what is meant
> by "add two character function...."

The purpose of KEYSTROKES is to report all the functions that have been
assigned to a key in your KBD file, correlating each function to the name of
its assigned key. All functions (BC, XC, DF, etc) consist of two characters.
If my premise is correct (as Patricia's info suggested) that the routine fails
when it hits tries to determine the keyboard assignment for a certain function,
then the SOLUTION is to exclude that particular function(s) from being
determined. So when I say "<==Add 2-char funcs to EXCLUDE here, in format
"|MS|AA|BB|CC|"etc.", well, it means what it says. Add any and all funcs that
cause a trap to the list of excluded functions.

> However, I do not get
> much of a chance to do anything of this sort, since immediately
> when I issue the command "run ," the following appears
> in the message area: "too many program calls"

OK. That means one of three things: either the routine was DECODEd badly, or
you don't have DLG loaded, or frame "1b" (which lists the 105 key names) is
absent from DLG. Now, I assume that DLG, at least the short "Mini" version, is
loaded on every system. It certainly should be -- there's stuff in there that
XyWrite needs!

If you don't have DLG, get it here:
 http://www.xywrite.com/xy4/xy4supp/xy4_dlg.zip
then LOAD it via STARTUP.INT (BX load d:\path\xy4.dlgQ2 ;*;)

I've added a check for DLG and frame 1b in this debugging version, which is
attached to this msg (as KEYSTROK.PM). Just save it within your EMail client,
then RUN it.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx